Saturday, October 31, 2009

ACAIBERRY....BERRYBAD

Ok, DearReaders: Consumer alert! Do not be as dumb as I appeared to have been.
Somewhere, somehow I must have responded to an offer that said "free"...for the
Demon 'acaiberry' which is all the rage for dieting and detox.
At some point after the fatal move, I got some bottle, believe me I would not have paid for it, and I never opened it as I knew it was a scam. And I forgot about it.
So, when my next credit card came with a bill for $79.95 plus $2.50 for a "foreign exchange deal," I had no idea what it was for. Hmmm said I.I have no recollection of the name, Wellnesslab.
No, I don't remember charging said amount. So I called the number on the bill and no one ever came on the line....(after 20 minutes of holding to boring music and a soothing voice saying how important my call was to them.Sure it is.)
I then called the credit card company and put in a dispute.
A few minutes later I realized what it might be, so I went and dug out the bottle
and there was another name on it "Acaiberrydetox" and another phone number and I called and sure enough it was one in the same. A Free sample which turned out to be
a SCAM!
The person in Cyprus...yes Cyprus for a Florida company maintained I had not returned it and cancelled as it said I had to or I would be billed for the whole amount.
I thought it was free, said I.
Oh no, said he. Not after thirty days if you don't cancel.
Where is this written? In something at the bottom of their website which i asked to be directed to and clearly never have seen before.I looked at the site, nope, never saw it.
I cancelled now! Believe me. I cancelled!
Now, nohow no way would I have ordered from this site as it clearly looks to be just what it is, a "freebie" that turns into a life committment.
So, somewhere somehow I must have checked a box on some sight I trust and lo and behold...scammed!
So, DearReaders dont' ever check a box on a freebie and stay away from AcaiBerry...thank you berry much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the cautionary tale.
my parents are in their eighties and are so suspicious about "con-men" and "fly-by-night operations"; i used to think they were paranoid. i guess they were right after all!

victoria

susan said...

Yup! and we are now our parents..i see it all the time in myself!

Unknown said...

No such thing as a free lunch ... or berry, I guess. Glad you wriggled free of the Cypriot scam.