Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Uncivil civilization

What the hell is going on?From Congress to talk shows, from tea parties to other tempests...everyone is losing it.Everyone has gone too far in expressing themselves. It's all too argumentative and ugly and I'm not sure where it started but it should end!
Political news shows started yelling at each other years ago so that you could almost not watch. Then Congressmen yelled out during State of the Union Speech and sessions and "voters" are spitting on them! Reality shows that were fun became combative and Housewives went from gossiping to pulling wigs off. And it all seems to intrigue people. Even Dancing with the Stars is now "I quit" and hostility. (Although I'd walk out on Kate too..what a ballbreaker!) Anyway...see...now even sweet little Me..I am getting hostile.
I think the genie is out of the bottle and don't know if it'll ever be able to go back in.
Sad state of affairs for all of us.

1 comment:

Anne D said...

I agree. There is an utter lack of courtesy and respect. I know nowadays courtesy sounds outmoded, but it is the oil that allows society's gears to run smoothly. Which society is NOT doing right now.

I was shocked beyond belief when President (PRESIDENT, I say) Obama was heckled during his State of the Union speech by that jerk yelling "You lie!" We all complain about teens today not respecting teachers; well, look at the great role models they have in Congress - NOT.

And, for what it's worth, I make my kids' friends -- even the friends who are now in their 20s -- call me "Mrs." D. Not "Anne." Respect for those older and/or in leadership positions starts at home. Not blind allegiance, but simply respect.

Thanks for letting me join your rant!